    SubjectRe: ext4 features
    On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 17:04 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > No, I didn't quite mean a manual touch, but a system call to "close and
    > set time to high resolution" for files where time uniformity is
    > important. Consider that in most cases the inodes times are set by the
    > host machine clock, which I close the change reflects the fileserving
    > host idea of time. If there were a call to close a file and set the
    > times like touch, then that could be used, for both local and network files.

    Close should never update the time since that would be a violation of
    POSIX rules. Normally, an NFS client will never need to update the time:
    RPC calls like WRITE, READ and SETATTR will automatically do it for us
    whenever necessary.

    Cheers,
    Trond

      Last update: 2006-07-10 22:11    [W:4.185 / U:0.100 seconds]