SubjectRe: [Patch][RFC] Disabling per-tgid stats on task exit in taskstats
Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 03:41:04 -0400
> Shailabh Nagar <> wrote:
>>Hence, this patch introduces a configuration parameter
>> /sys/kernel/taskstats_tgid_exit
>>through which a privileged user can turn on/off sending of per-tgid stats on
>>task exit.
> That seems a bit clumsy. What happens if one consumer wants the per-tgid
> stats and another does not?

For all subsystems that re-use the taskstats structure from the exit path,
we have the issue that you mentioned. Thats because several statistics co-exist
in the same structure. These subsystems can keep their tgid-stats empty by not
filling up anything in fill_tgid() or using this patch to selectively enable/disable
tgid stats.

For other subsystems, they could pass tgidstats as NULL to taskstats_exit_send().

Balbir Singh,
Linux Technology Center,
IBM Software Labs