    SubjectRe: [Patch][RFC] Disabling per-tgid stats on task exit in taskstats
    Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com> wrote:

    > Is a system-wide switch that bad?

    Yes, it's awful. OK, we might band-aid something like that onto an
    existing feature which had compatibility requirements, but for brand-new
    code, no. Let's get it right.

    > A site that needs tgid stats can live
    > with the performance consequence while those do not need tgid can
    > enjoy a pure per-task stats data. (I would argue that a thread group
    > is some sort of task aggregate.)

    But the performance impact was negligible. A few percent on a workload
    which just sat in a fork/exit busyloop.

    > How about sending tgid stats when the last process in the group exist?
    > But do not send it if not the last in the thread?

    That'd be one for Balbir to think about.

      Last update: 2006-06-10 01:56    [W:0.029 / U:1.004 seconds]