SubjectRe: 2.6.17-rc5-mm3: bad unlock ordering (reiser4?)
Ingo Molnar wrote:

>* Barry K. Nathan <barryn@pobox.com> wrote:
>

>>On 6/4/06, Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
>>

>>>reporting the first one only is necessary, because the validator cannot
>>>trust a system's dependency info that it sees as incorrect. Deadlock
>>>possibilities are quite rare in a kernel that is "in balance". Right now
>>>we are not "in balance" yet, because the validator has only been added a
>>>couple of days ago. The flurry of initial fixes will die down quickly.
>>>

>>So, does that mean the plan is to annotate/tweak things in order to
>>shut up *each and every* false positive in the kernel?
>>

>yes.

Ingo is very much in the right here. Things like locking are very hard
to debug, and require serious methodology. It is worth the hassle. I
hope we do more things like this in the future.

  Last update: 2006-06-09 23:41    [W:0.150 / U:1.612 seconds]