    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3
    El Fri, 9 Jun 2006 20:50:00 +0200,
    Diego Calleja <diegocg@gmail.com> escribió:

    > Not at all, a config option may be disabled by lots of distros
    > and make backwards compatibility even more difficult than
    > is already going to be.

    (I meant: Distros could switch it off, and in a two years
    timeframe for some reason you could try to read data from
    a disk created by a kernel with that feature and it wont
    work, meanwhile with the current approach you'll be able
    to use a mount flag.)

    In my very humble user opinion, the big difference between ext2/3
    and ext3/4 is that ext2/3 really was supposed to be on-disk
    compatible, except for the journal. However ext4, AIUI, is
    supposed to be _really_ different.

    The kernel that includes the 48bit patches will already be a sort
    of "ext4" filesystem, since 2.6.17 and previous kernels are not
    going to be able to read it. Moving the source to ext4 or keeping
    it in ext3/ is just about mainteinance, not about making a new
    filesystem or not - that will happen as soon as the patches are
    merged.

      Last update: 2006-06-09 21:11    [W:3.470 / U:0.012 seconds]