    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3
    Andreas Dilger wrote:
    > Except that the only way that they will get extents is if they read some
    > documentation that tells them to mount with "-o extents", which will also
    > say "this is incompatible with older kernels - only use it if you aren't
    > going to revert to older kernels". If they try to mount such a filesystem
    > it will report "trying to mount filesystem with incompatible feature",
    > and "e2fsprogs" will report "incompatible feature extents - please upgrade
    > your e2fsprogs" (for versions newer than Nov 2004).

    False. What will happen is that distros will default to extents, and
    users will continue to not read documentation, as usual.

    > It's a lot better than e.g. the latest ubuntu which (apparently,
    > I read) can't mount a kernel older than 2.6.15 because of udev (or
    > sysfs?) changes. It's better than e.g. reiserfs vs. reiser4 compatibility
    > (which doesn't exist). 2.4 kernels probably can't mount a new udev root
    > filesystem because none of the /dev files exist either. 2.4 kernels can't
    > mount a filesystem that is using device mapper ("LVM 2.0") instead of
    > "LVM 1.0". All 2.2 kernels couldn't use any system with RAID,
    > because any distro worth its salt had upgraded the RAID code to a working
    > (incompatible) version.

    This is different.

    The proposal is to change the thing called "ext3" to suddenly require
    kernels >= 2.6.18, while still calling it "ext3."

    The above examples are actually proving my point. The above examples
    had much more clear distinctions between incompatible upgrades.

    > Nobody is forcing users to use extents. Same with large inodes in ext3,
    > which give a 7x speedup in samba4 performance - did this cause you any
    > heartburn yet? Large inodes + fast EAs are available for people who want
    > to use it for a couple of years already, will soon allow nanosecond times
    > and maybe one day in the distant future it will become the default but not
    > yet. In a few years, the support for extents in ext3 will be pervasive
    > and most people won't care if they can boot to 2.4.10 or not, and if they
    > care about this they will also know enough not to enable extents. The ext3
    > developers are a very cautious bunch, and don't force anything onto users.

    I wouldn't use the word "cautious" to describe continually adding new,
    incompatible features to the main Linux filesystem.

    You are as cautious as one can be, while adding potentially
    destabilizing features.

      Last update: 2006-06-09 20:51    [W:0.030 / U:5.156 seconds]