SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3
Alex Tomas wrote:

> JG> Think about how this will be deployed in production, long term.
>
> JG> If extents are not made default at some point, then no one will use
> JG> the feature, and it should not be merged.
>
> sorry, I disagree. for example, NUMA isn't default and shouldn't be.
> but we have it in the tree and any one may choose to use it.

NUMA is designed to cope with a hardware feature, which not everybody
has. Filesystem upgrades are not qualitatively similar; it does not
depend on one's hardware design as to whether one uses ext3, let alone
extents. Your logic is faulty.

the same
> with extents. let's have it in. but let's make clear it's experimental,
> it makes sense for large files only, it isn't backward compatible and
> so on.
>
> thanks, Alex
>
> -

  Last update: 2006-06-09 20:06    [W:0.346 / U:0.520 seconds]