    SubjectRe: [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3
    Matthew Wilcox wrote:
    > On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 11:40:03AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >> Users are now forced to remember that, if they write to their filesystem
    >> after using either $mmver or $korgver kernels, they are locked out of
    >> using older kernels.
    >>
    >> From the user's perspective, ext3 has no clear "metadata version 1",
    >> "metadata version 2" division. Thus they are now forced to keep a
    >> matrix of kernel versions and ext3 feature flag support, to know which
    >> kernels are usable with which data. It is a support nightmare.
    >
    > Hang on, you're going too far. You have to enable extents with the
    > extent mount option. Otherwise you don't get to use them. The user
    > does, in fact, have a clear division, although maybe the blinky signs
    > aren't quite luminous enough.

    ...and how are distros going to deploy this? They are going to turn on
    extents by default.

    And do we honestly think that is a scalable option _anyway_? That will
    slowly bloat fstab and mount command lines with an ever-increasing list
    of options.

    It's IMO better experience for the user, and gives the developers more
    freedom.Look, I _really_ want extents. I am a big fan. But I think
    that extents are good time to make a clean break, and let ext3 live as
    it is. And it will let ext3 stabilize.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2006-06-09 17:53    [W:0.033 / U:29.276 seconds]