    SubjectRe: Using netconsole for debugging suspend/resume
    From
    From: Auke Kok <auke-jan.h.kok@intel.com>
    Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:13:48 -0700

    > netconsole should retry. There is no timeout programmed here since that might
    > lose important information, and you rather want netconsole to survive an odd
    > unplugged cable then to lose vital debugging information when the system is
    > busy for instance. (losing link will cause the interface to be down and thus
    > the queue to be stopped)

    I completely disagree that netpoll should loop when the ethernet
    cable is plugged out. This stops the entire system. What if this
    is one of my main web servers and I have other links on the machine
    for redundancy and load balancing? Just because some careless
    sysop knocks one of the cables out, my system just freezes up and
    stops?

    What if I'm on a remote serial console, how long should I scratch
    my head wondering why the whole machine is frozen up before I "figure
    out" that the ethernet cable being out has made my system unusable
    because netpoll is just looping on the thing forever?

    That's an extremely poor quality of implementation if you ask me.

    Netpoll is _BEST_ _EFFORT_, end of story. It by definition can only
    offer that level of service because it does locking in circumstances
    where such locking might be illegal or even impossible. So it has to
    try, but if it can't get the resources it needs, it must stop trying
    and abort the logging.

      Last update: 2006-06-09 07:27    [W:2.388 / U:0.076 seconds]