SubjectRe: Using netconsole for debugging suspend/resume
Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> I've been trying to get suspend/resume working well on my new laptop.
> In general, netconsole has been pretty useful for extracting oopses and
> other messages, but it is of more limited help in debugging the actual
> suspend/resume cycle. The problem looks like the e1000 driver won't
> suspend while netconsole is using it, so I have to rmmod/modprobe
> netconsole around the actual suspend/resume.
>
> This is a big problem during resume because the screen is also blank, so
> I get no useful clue as to what went wrong when things go wrong. I'm
> wondering if there's some way to keep netconsole alive to the last
> possible moment during suspend, and re-woken as soon as possible during
> resume. It would be nice to have a clean solution, but I'm willing to
> use a bletcherous hack if that's what it takes.
>
> Any ideas?

Have you tried using different cards/drivers? This might or might not be
either a netconsole problem (generic) or driver related (which could impact
other drivers too).

From the top of my head I don't see any reason why the e1000 shouldn't handle
the suspend event - but mind you that a fix for e1000/WoL impacting shutdown
handlers was only recently added. Which kernels does this impact?

Auke

  Last update: 2006-06-08 22:38    [W:0.091 / U:0.788 seconds]