SubjectRe: Merge of per task delay accounting (was Re: 2.6.18 -mm merge plans)
Andrew Morton wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 10:27:46 -0400
>Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com> wrote:
>

>>Andrew Morton wrote:

>>>Yes, for 2.6.18 I'm inclined to send taskstats and to continue to play
>>>wait-and-see on the statistics infrastructure. Greg is taking a look at
>>>the stats code, which is good.
>>>

>>Thanks !
>>
>>The suggestion from Jay Lan to extend the interface by making sending
>>of tgid stats configurable
>>is quite reasonable and can be done relatively simply:
>>set some parameter, either by sending a separate command (verify sender
>>is privileged) or by
>>some sysfs parameter and use that to control sending of tgid stats on
>>task exit (as well as allocation of
>>any tgid stat related structures).
>>

>hm. Is it possible to check the privileges of a netlink message sender?

Not entirely sure. But there's a check in net/netlink/genetlink.c:
genl_rcv_msg()
for
if ((ops->flags & GENL_ADMIN_PERM) && security_netlink_recv(skb))
{ err = -EPERM;
goto errout;
}

and security_netlink_recv(skb), normally set to cap_netlink_recv, checks
on the skb's effective capability
being CAP_NET_ADMIN which I thought would be sufficient.
Need to look further.

If it doesn't turn out to fit properly, sysfs config variable can be used.

>>Would you recommend we submit a patch for it now or wait till after
>>delay accounting has gone into
>>2.6.18 ?
>>

>Earlier, please.

Ok. will submit asap.

>>Such requests for extending the interface are likely to happen as more
>>users start using the interface.
>>But since any patch will need some testing etc. and we are very close to
>>the 2.6.18 merge window, I
>>wanted your advice on whether this should wait until later.
>>

>If it's merged, we'll have a couple more months to test it, and to fix any
>little problems.

Sounds good.

Thanks,
Shailabh

  Last update: 2006-06-08 20:39    [W:0.099 / U:1.212 seconds]