SubjectRe: Merge of per task delay accounting (was Re: 2.6.18 -mm merge plans)
On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 10:27:46 -0400
Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com> wrote:

> Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:28:15 -0400
> >Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com> wrote:
> >

> >>So, we have a good consensus from existing/potential users of taskstats and would
> >>very much appreciate it being included in 2.6.18.
> >>

> >Yes, for 2.6.18 I'm inclined to send taskstats and to continue to play
> >wait-and-see on the statistics infrastructure. Greg is taking a look at
> >the stats code, which is good.
> >

> Thanks !
>
> The suggestion from Jay Lan to extend the interface by making sending
> of tgid stats configurable
> is quite reasonable and can be done relatively simply:
> set some parameter, either by sending a separate command (verify sender
> is privileged) or by
> some sysfs parameter and use that to control sending of tgid stats on
> task exit (as well as allocation of
> any tgid stat related structures).

hm. Is it possible to check the privileges of a netlink message sender?

> Would you recommend we submit a patch for it now or wait till after
> delay accounting has gone into
> 2.6.18 ?

Earlier, please.

> Such requests for extending the interface are likely to happen as more
> users start using the interface.
> But since any patch will need some testing etc. and we are very close to
> the 2.6.18 merge window, I
> wanted your advice on whether this should wait until later.

If it's merged, we'll have a couple more months to test it, and to fix any
little problems.

  Last update: 2006-06-08 19:45    [W:0.100 / U:0.800 seconds]