SubjectRe: Merge of per task delay accounting (was Re: 2.6.18 -mm merge plans)
Andrew Morton wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:28:15 -0400
>Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com> wrote:
>

>>So, we have a good consensus from existing/potential users of taskstats and would
>>very much appreciate it being included in 2.6.18.
>>

>Yes, for 2.6.18 I'm inclined to send taskstats and to continue to play
>wait-and-see on the statistics infrastructure. Greg is taking a look at
>the stats code, which is good.

Thanks !

The suggestion from Jay Lan to extend the interface by making sending
of tgid stats configurable
is quite reasonable and can be done relatively simply:
set some parameter, either by sending a separate command (verify sender
is privileged) or by
some sysfs parameter and use that to control sending of tgid stats on
task exit (as well as allocation of
any tgid stat related structures).

Would you recommend we submit a patch for it now or wait till after
delay accounting has gone into
2.6.18 ?

Such requests for extending the interface are likely to happen as more
users start using the interface.
But since any patch will need some testing etc. and we are very close to
the 2.6.18 merge window, I
wanted your advice on whether this should wait until later.

Regards,
Shailabh

  Last update: 2006-06-08 16:30    [W:0.155 / U:1.688 seconds]