    Subjecttaskstats interface for accounting
    Hi Balbir and Shailabh,

    I finally have time to think about implementation details of CSA over
    taskstats interface. I took another look at the taskstats interface
    proposal and was a little bit nervous.

    Do you remember i suggested to use #ifdef to cut down traffic and i
    was told a generic netlink header would serve the purpose?
    What i see now at Documentation/accounting/taskstats.txt saying
    NETLINK_GENERIC family is used for unicast query/reply mode. The
    NETLINK_GENERIC family provides great flexsibility on what to receive.
    However, CSA only uses the multicast mode to receive from kernel
    whenever tasks are existing. I guess i would need to read the netlink
    documentation more carefully to see whether my understanding is
    correct.

    Another thing i overlooked when i did the review was that taskstats
    interface is designed to provide _BOTH_ per task _AND_ per thread
    accounting data EVERY TIME a task exists. A thread is an aggregate
    of (per-pid) tasks. Since this type of aggregation is not used in
    CSA, half of data traffic would be useless. Can we add a way to
    configure to not send per-thread data to the socket?

    Regards,
    jay

      Last update: 2006-06-07 04:06    [W:0.048 / U:214.176 seconds]