    SubjectRe: [2.6.17-rc5-mm2] crash when doing second suspend: BUG in arch/i386/kernel/nmi.c:174
    On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 10:05:07AM +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
    > Hi.
    > > >
    > > > Make it work properly for CPU hotplug for individual CPU and then in
    > > > suspend you take care of "global" state and the last CPU.
    > >
    > > So the assumption is treat all the cpus the same either all on or all off,
    > > no mixed mode (some cpus on, some cpus off). I guess I was trying to hard
    > > to work on the per-cpu level.
    > This sounds wrong to me. Shouldn't the the effect of hotunplugging a cpu be to
    > put the driver in a state equivalent to if that cpu simply didn't exist?
    > Unplugging shouldn't assume we're going to subsequently have either a driver
    > suspend, or a replug.

    This is my biggest problem or maybe my complete lack of understanding, is
    that I don't know how to determine what state I am in during a hotplug
    event, either a cpu removal or a suspend. Therefore I feel like I have to
    store some persistant data around _just_ in case this is a suspend event.
    Also at the opposite end, how to separate a cpu insert vs. a cpu resume.
    The different being initialize to a global state vs. initialize to a last
    known state.

    I thought it would make more sense if a few more states were to the
    hotplug event list. For example, in addition to CPU_ONLINE and CPU_DEAD,
    there could also be something like CPU_SUSPEND, CPU_FREEZE, CPU_RESUME,
    and CPU_THAW.

    Anyway, I am probably complicating the matter. I'll whip something up and
    post it for review.