SubjectRe: Merge of per task delay accounting (was Re: 2.6.18 -mm merge plans)
Jay Lan wrote:
> [...]
>>> being worked on. pnotify
>>> or its replacement will
>>> not be concerned with
>>> exporting data to user
>>> space
>>> or collecting any
>>> statistics.
>>>

>>> 7. Scalable statistics counters with /proc Not working on it
>>> reporting: anymore
>>> Ravikiran G Thirumalai,
>>> Dipankar Sarma <dipankar@in.ibm.com>
>>>
>>> Studying the responses from all stake holders, Jay Lan's was the most
>>> encouraging. Peter Chubb prefers the /proc interface due to the text
>>> interface
>>> and ease of parsing. (in our opinion, taskstats can meet the needs
>>> easily
>>> and the getdelays utility can provide the same ease for parsing).
>>> The others did not respond.
>>> Some performance numbers of taskstats were posted at
>>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/3/23/141. The result highlights are included
>>> below
>>>
>>> Results highlights
>>>
>>> - Configuring delay accounting adds < 0.5%
>>> overhead in most cases and even reduces overhead
>>> in some cases
>>>
>>> - Enabling delay accounting has similar results
>>> with a maximum overhead of 1.2% for hackbench,
>>> most other overheads < 1% and reduction in
>>> overhead in some cases
>>>
>>> These statistics are _per task_ and can be extended easily by anyone
>>> who wishes to obtain per task data. An example of per task improved
>>> scheduler statistics was mentioned in http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/6/1/381
>>> (I am not sure if the email refers to our per-task statistics). If not,
>>> the new statistics could easily use the taskstats interface.
>>>
>>> These statistics can be used by software product stacks to monitor
>>> usage information about the various tasks they create and control.
>>> I also informally spoke to a group of students (verbally), who were
>>> excited at the possibility of using the per-task statistics to do
>>> dynamic deadline based power management. They want to use the delay data
>>> (CPU and IO) to predict deadlines for a task and then use these results
>>> for dynamically scaling CPU frequency.
>>>

>>> The ability to monitor the CPU run and delay data and IO delay data is
>>> useful.
>>>
>>> I would request you to consider the inclusion per-task delay accounting
>>> into
>>> 2.6.18.
>>>

>> Andrew,
>>
>> The only other new set of patches to be discussed in this context are the
>> statistics-infrastructure patches from Martin Peschke.
>>
>> That infrastructure cannot meet the needs of delay accounting, CSA
>> etc. because
>> - it only provides "user pull" model of getting stats whereas "kernel
>> push" is
>> needed for delay accounting
>

> Doesn't taskstats interface provide "user pull" request-reply model
> also? Serious accounting needs to push accounting data as soon as

Yes, I meant to say "kernel push" is also needed for delay accounting.
So taskstats provides both pull and push whereas statistics infrastructure, on
account of use of fs-based interface, provides only user-pull.

>> - it uses a relatively slow interface unsuitable for high volumes of
>> data. Each
>> statistic has its own definition, needs to be read separately using
>> ASCII,
>> reading data continuously means open/read/close each time.....all of
>> which is not very conducive to large structures being sent to userspace.
>

> Yes, i second the point. It won't be able to catch up the traffic.
>
>> - its oriented towards sampled data whereas taskstats isn't.
>>
>> So, we have a good consensus from existing/potential users of
>> taskstats and would
>> very much appreciate it being included in 2.6.18.
>

> Andrew, it has become clear that the community wants to see accounting
> data processing being moved to userspace. Thus there is a need for a
> common accounting interface to provide minimal works at kernel (via
> hooks at fork and exit) and deliver data to userspace.
>
> The delayacct patchset provides a good framework and example that
> i believe CSA/Job can follow and build upon to move most of our work
> to userspace and thus cut off dependency of PAGG. We will submit CSA
> patch soon based on the taskstats interface.
>
> Thanks,
> - jay
>
> P.S. Balbir and Shailabh, Chris Sturtivant will continue the CSA work
> at SGI. Please also cc Chris <csturtiv@sgi.com> in the future.
> Thanks!

Sure.

Thanks,
Shailabh

>> --Shailabh

  Last update: 2006-06-07 00:58    [W:0.485 / U:0.328 seconds]