SubjectRe: Merge of per task delay accounting (was Re: 2.6.18 -mm merge plans)
Balbir Singh wrote:
> Andrew Morton wrote:
>
>> per-task-delay-accounting-setup.patch
>> per-task-delay-accounting-setup-fix-1.patch
>> per-task-delay-accounting-setup-fix-2.patch
>> per-task-delay-accounting-sync-block-i-o-and-swapin-delay-collection.patch
>>
>> per-task-delay-accounting-sync-block-i-o-and-swapin-delay-collection-fix-1.patch
>>
>> per-task-delay-accounting-cpu-delay-collection-via-schedstats.patch
>> per-task-delay-accounting-cpu-delay-collection-via-schedstats-fix-1.patch
>> per-task-delay-accounting-utilities-for-genetlink-usage.patch
>> per-task-delay-accounting-taskstats-interface.patch
>> per-task-delay-accounting-taskstats-interface-fix-1.patch
>> per-task-delay-accounting-taskstats-interface-fix-2.patch
>> per-task-delay-accounting-delay-accounting-usage-of-taskstats-interface.patch
>>
>> per-task-delay-accounting-delay-accounting-usage-of-taskstats-interface-use-portable-cputime-api-in-__delayacct_add_tsk.patch
>>
>> per-task-delay-accounting-documentation.patch
>> per-task-delay-accounting-proc-export-of-aggregated-block-i-o-delays.patch
>>
>> per-task-delay-accounting-proc-export-of-aggregated-block-i-o-delays-warning-fix.patch
>>

>> I just don't know. There are a number of groups who pop up with various
>> enhanced accounting requirements and patches (all quite different) but I
>> haven't heard a lot of enthusiasm from any of them over this work, which
>> attempts to provide an extensible framework for accumulation and
>> querying
>> of per-task metrics.
>>
>> But then again, we cannot just sit there and wait for everyone to be
>> 100%
>> happy. So I'm 51% inclined to push this along.
>>
>> Anyone else who has an interest in this sort of thing needs to be aware
>> that there will be an expectation that any future statistics submissions
>> should use these interfaces. So the time to pay attention is right now.
>>

> Hi, Andrew,
>
> Here is a brief summary of the status of the response we have received from
> the stakeholders (some of it has been duplicated in previous postings)
>
> Project Response
>
> 1. CSA accounting/PAGG/JOB: Has agreed to use taskstats
> Jay Lan <jlan@engr.sgi.com> interface
>
> 2. per-process IO statistics: None
> Levent Serinol <lserinol@gmail.com> Needs are subset of CSA
>
> 3. per-cpu time statistics: None (email bounced)
> Erich Focht <efocht@ess.nec.de> Needs can be met by taskstats
> Statistics not yet submitted
>
> 4. Microstate accounting: None
> Peter Chubb <peterc@gelato.unsw.edu.au> overlap with delay accounting
> prefers /proc due to
> convenience
> taskstats can meet the needs
>

> 5. ELSA: Guillaume Thouvenin None
> <guillaume.thouvenin@bull.net> ELSA is not a direct user
> of new kernel statistics
> Consumer of CSA/BSD
> accounting
> statistics
>
> 6. pnotify: Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com> None
> [...]

Andrew,

The only other new set of patches to be discussed in this context are the
statistics-infrastructure patches from Martin Peschke.

That infrastructure cannot meet the needs of delay accounting, CSA etc. because
- it only provides "user pull" model of getting stats whereas "kernel push" is
needed for delay accounting
- it uses a relatively slow interface unsuitable for high volumes of data. Each
statistic has its own definition, needs to be read separately using ASCII,
reading data continuously means open/read/close each time.....all of
which is not very conducive to large structures being sent to userspace.
- its oriented towards sampled data whereas taskstats isn't.

So, we have a good consensus from existing/potential users of taskstats and would
very much appreciate it being included in 2.6.18.

--Shailabh

  Last update: 2006-06-07 00:31    [W:0.502 / U:1.540 seconds]