SubjectRe: Linux v2.6.17-rc6
Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 14:07 +0200, Klaus S. Madsen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We still experience the NFS client slow down reported by Jakob
>> Østergaard in http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/3/31/82, even with 2.6.17-rc6.
>>
>> Trond Myklebust have created a patch which we have verified solves this
>> problem for 2.6.16, 2.6.17-rc4 and 2.6.17-rc6. The patch is available
>> from http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/4/24/320, and as an attachment to
>> bugzilla bug 6557.
>
> The patch is already queued up for inclusion in 2.6.18. I'm not planning
> on submitting it for 2.6.17 since it is not a critical bug.

I guess that depends on how much it slows down and how much you depend
on the speed of NFS. I have all of my machines sharing some local
binaries and docs, but the files are typically small and the network is
gigE, so I doubt it will hurt me. On the other hand I do know people
running workstations with virtually everything NFS mounted, working with
large image files.

The initial bug report makes it look as if it's about two orders of
magnitude slower, but doesn't quantify the effect on more common
sequential access operations.

If this becomes an issue in 2.6.17, I hope it will show up in -stable
before 2.6.18, the current development cycle is a bit, um, protracted...
lately.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a