    SubjectRe: [Patch][RFC] Disabling per-tgid stats on task exit in taskstats
    Shailabh Nagar <nagar@watson.ibm.com> wrote:

    > The rates (or upper bounds) that are being discussed here, as of now,
    > are 1000 exits/sec/CPU for
    > 1024 CPU systems. That would be roughly 1M exits/system *
    > 248Bytes/message = 248 MB/sec.

    I think it's worth differentiating between burst rates and sustained rates
    here.

    One could easily imagine 10,000 threads all exiting at once, and the user
    being interested in reliably collecting the results.

    But if the machine is _sustaining_ such a high rate then that means that
    these exiting tasks all have a teeny runtime and the user isn't going to be
    interested in the per-thread statistics.

    So if we can detect the silly sustained-high-exit-rate scenario then it
    seems to me quite legitimate to do some aggressive data reduction on that.
    Like, a single message which says "20,000 sub-millisecond-runtime tasks
    exited in the past second" or something.

      Last update: 2006-06-30 03:05    [W:4.243 / U:0.016 seconds]