SubjectRe: [Suspend2][ 15/20] [Suspend2] Attempt to freeze processes.
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 June 2006 23:45, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> > Current code seems to free memory without need to thaw/re-freeze
> > kernel threads. Have you found bugs in that, or is this unneccessary?
>
> Did you read my other email? Try it with a swap file on a journalled
> filesystem, in a situation where freeing memory will force the swap file to
> be used.

Hi Nigel,

I may have missed your "other email" in the avalanche ;)

That particular example sounds dubious to me: it may well have been
a problem on 2.4, but are you sure that it's still a problem on 2.6?

Andrew very nicely rewrote the swapfile handling, to bmap the whole
file at swapon time (see setup_swap_extents), and thereafter the only
difference between using a swapfile and using a disk partition is that
the swapfile blocks may be fragmented into many extents where the disk
partition is contiguous. Much more reliable.
I don't see how your "journalled filesystem" would affect it at all.

Hugh