    SubjectRe: [Suspend2][ 15/20] [Suspend2] Attempt to freeze processes.
    On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
    > On Tuesday 27 June 2006 23:45, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > >
    > > Current code seems to free memory without need to thaw/re-freeze
    > > kernel threads. Have you found bugs in that, or is this unneccessary?
    >
    > Did you read my other email? Try it with a swap file on a journalled
    > filesystem, in a situation where freeing memory will force the swap file to
    > be used.

    Hi Nigel,

    I may have missed your "other email" in the avalanche ;)

    That particular example sounds dubious to me: it may well have been
    a problem on 2.4, but are you sure that it's still a problem on 2.6?

    Andrew very nicely rewrote the swapfile handling, to bmap the whole
    file at swapon time (see setup_swap_extents), and thereafter the only
    difference between using a swapfile and using a disk partition is that
    the swapfile blocks may be fragmented into many extents where the disk
    partition is contiguous. Much more reliable.

    I don't see how your "journalled filesystem" would affect it at all.

    Hugh

      Last update: 2006-06-28 21:01    [W:0.021 / U:150.520 seconds]