    SubjectRe: [klibc] klibc and what's the next step?
    Le mardi 27 juin 2006 à 15:12 +0200, Roman Zippel a écrit :

    > So anyone who likes to see klibc merged, because it will solve some kind
    > of problem for him, please speak up now. Without this information it's
    > hard to judge whether we're going to solve the right problems.

    For Ubuntu, klibc could exist perfectly fine outside of the kernel -
    We're using it already and have been for about a year now.

    What merging will help us with is:

    1) Making sure that klibc remains able to get the system running. That
    way some subtle mismatch between the kernel and klibc doesn't cause a
    boot failure on a less-tested config.

    2) Help us stay close to the best-practice for booting. This is both
    for making sure that people don't wind up with an unexpected experience
    using Ubuntu, but also so that we can contribute back to the common
    core.

    3) Work towards removing the bootup pieces from the kernel that aren't
    used anymore, reducing duplication, crufty in-kernel pieces, yada, yada,
    yada...

    I'd like to see klibc become the canonical way of booting the kernel
    whether it's merged or not. We already depend on outside tools to get
    the system running (udev, module-init-tools), so adding klibc to this
    doesn't seem that harmful.

    Tks,
    Jeff Bailey

      Last update: 2006-06-27 16:43    [W:0.023 / U:0.076 seconds]