    SubjectRe: GFS2 and DLM

    * Nathan Scott <nathans@sgi.com> wrote:

    > > and since XFS makes use of KM_SLEEP in 130+ callsites, that means it
    > > is in essence using GFP_NOFAIL massively!
    >
    > Their locations have been carefully audited and understood. The
    > original issue here was IRIX being able to do a very good of
    > preventing kernel memory allocation failures, which I suspect caused
    > the original XFS guys to be fairly relaxed in their handling of memory
    > allocation failures. Its caused us no end of pain with the Linux port,
    > I assure you.

    i know it's a hard problem, and i'm not suggesting at all that this is
    easy to fix. Nevertheless there are 130 allocation callsites in XFS that
    do implicit GFS_NOFAIL in essence, and 7 callsites in GFS2 that mention
    __GFS_NOFAIL explicitly. Ext3 does __GFP_NOFAIL in its journalling code
    too. Reiser too.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2006-06-27 10:58    [W:0.030 / U:0.444 seconds]