SubjectRe: [patch 21/61] lock validator: lockdep: add local_irq_enable_in_hardirq() API.

* Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 May 2006 23:24:52 +0200
> Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
>
> > introduce local_irq_enable_in_hardirq() API. It is currently
> > aliased to local_irq_enable(), hence has no functional effects.
> >
> > This API will be used by lockdep, but even without lockdep
> > this will better document places in the kernel where a hardirq
> > context enables hardirqs.
>
> If we expect people to use this then we'd best whack a comment over
> it.

ok, i've improved the comment in trace_irqflags.h.

> Also, trace_irqflags.h doesn't seem an appropriate place for it to
> live.

seems like the most practical place for it. Previously we had no central
include file for irq-flags APIs (they used to be included from
asm/system.h and other random per-arch places) - trace_irqflags.h has
become the central file now. Should i rename it to irqflags.h perhaps,
to not tie it to tracing? We have some deprecated irq-flags ops in
interrupt.h, maybe this all belongs there. (although i think it's
cleaner to have linux/include/irqflags.h and include it from
interrupt.h)

Ingo

  Last update: 2006-06-23 11:36    [W:2.874 / U:0.488 seconds]