SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] USB/hal: USB open() broken? (USB CD burner underruns, USB HDD hard resets)
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Andreas Mohr wrote:

[...]
> And the obvious question would be whether the sdkp->openers++ thingy
> could somehow be extended to enclose all hardware device users so that
> e.g. sr.c wouldn't send ALLOW_MEDIUM_REMOVAL on a device already locked
> by e.g. the sd.c driver.
> Difficult question, though, since the group of drivers possible to use
> with a certain device is not a static set:
> it could be via
> - sr.c
> - sd.c
> - IDE (in the case of ATA devices mapped via ide-scsi)

> Is it possible to have such a per-*hardware*-device instance in the kernel
> to keep track of various things such as number of device openers?
> I'll do some investigation myself, too...

The sg part should be implemented by each SCSI device, reducing the
current sg device to a mostly empty shell. Then you can prevent that
empty shell from binding to devices having more specific drivers.
--
Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say:
30. And what does it mean 'rm: .o: No such file or directory'?