    SubjectRe: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts
    On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Pavel Machek wrote:

    >> I just implemented text mode switch and tileblit ops into viafb
    >> (http://davesdomain.org.uk/viafb/index.php) and it is about four
    >> times faster than accelerated graphics mode and about eight times
    >> faster than unaccelerated graphics mode (both measured using cat
    >> largefile with ypan disabled). So textmode is meaningful
    >> alternative.
    >
    > I mean.... it is displaying text faster than refresh rate... so who
    > cares?
    >
    > You can only *display* so much text a second (and then, user is only
    > able to see *much* less text) and both text mode and frame buffers are
    > way past that limits. so.... who cares?

    there are quite a few times when you have text output that you need to
    scroll through, but you really don't need to read it as it goes by.

    for example, accidently cating a large file, running a program with overly
    verbose debugging output, etc.

    yes, if you never make mistakes and know that these are problem cases
    ahead of time you can redirect the output. but in the real world sysadmins
    really do notice when they are on a console that is slower.

    if reading speed was the limiting factor very few people would need
    anything faster then a 9600 baud terminal.

    David Lang

      Last update: 2006-06-02 23:03    [W:4.178 / U:0.080 seconds]