    SubjectRe: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts
    > >> Without specifying a design here are a few requirements I would have:
    > >>
    > >> 1) The kernel subsystem should be agnostic of the display server. The
    > >> solution should not be X specific. Any display system should be able
    > >> to use it, SDL, Y Windows, Fresco, etc...
    > >
    > > of course, but that doesn't mean it can't re-use X's code, they are
    > > the best drivers we have. you forget everytime that the kernel fbdev
    > > drivers aren't even close, I mean not by a long long way apart from
    > > maybe radeon.
    >
    > matroxfb is clearly better than the X driver. atyfb too IMO.

    Okay maybe matroxfb, but if atyfb is the mach64, it really isn't as
    good, the last few times I tried it, it just made my LCD bloom, X
    worked, mach64 is probably the most complex thing as there must be at
    least 15 variations on the theme.... mach64 isn't a chip family so
    much as a chip tribe... I've since burned my mach64 as a sacrifice....

    Dave.