SubjectRe: [BUG](-mm)pci_disable_device function clear bars_enabled element
On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 11:57:36AM +0900, Kenji Kaneshige wrote:
> As Rajesh pointed out, there are many drivers which initialize the
> device with the wrong order. They should be fixed.

Then you also agree with the patch to pci.txt?

> I would like to
> confirm the correct order to initialize the device again. Is the
> following correct order?
>
> (1) pci_request_regions()
> (2) pci_enable_device()
> (3) request_irq()
> (4) free_irq()
> (5) pci_disable_device()
> (6) pci_release_regions()

Yes, that's what I would prefer and would like to see reccomended.
Would you like to see that order listed (like you have above)
in the pci.txt file?

A less precise list is in the first section of Documentation/pci.txt.

[ TODO: Can someone define which kernel versions implement "new style"? ]

There's more to this list unfortunately:
DMA mask settings, MSI support, power state

And probably a few more that I'm not thinking of right now.

Restructing the document to list the steps, indicate which
are optional, and describe each step in order is more than
I can deal with right now. Section 3 and 5 cover most of
the material but aren't as clear as Kenji's list.

thanks,
grant

  Last update: 2006-06-02 07:59    [W:0.914 / U:0.052 seconds]