    SubjectRe: v4l device in userspace

    > I've a little program running in the phone, capturing
    > images from the camera and sending it to the
    > linux box via bluetooth.

    > Basically I've to pass by the kernel just for
    > the interface, and not to do real kernel-side work
    > (like to access to the some kind of hardware).
    > So I've some questions ( thanks in advance
    > for any reply).
    > 1) What's the best way to pass relatively
    > high-band data between the v4l fake driver
    > and userspace? A char device will do the
    > work? ioctl?
    > 2) What about some way to handle ioctl
    > directly from userspace? Given this support
    > I may implement the whole code in userspace.
    > And I guess there are a lot of other real world
    > problems that can be handled in userspace
    > given the ability to handle ioctl from there.
    > If you think 2) is reasonable I may actually
    > implement some simple form of generic
    > char driver that just allows userspace
    > programs to handle read/write/ioctl
    > opreations, and then use this to fix
    > my real issue.

    You probably want to do something v4l specigic... but generic userspace driver
    able to do read/write/ioctl would be very nice. Lots of devices these days are on usb, and that can be done from userspace, for example.
    64 bytes from icmp_seq=28 ttl=51 time=448769.1 ms

      Last update: 2006-06-20 00:35    [W:0.028 / U:36.752 seconds]