SubjectRe: [RFC] CPU controllers?
Sam Vilain wrote:
> Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 05:53:42PM +1200, Sam Vilain wrote:
>>
>>> Bear in mind that we have on the table at least one group of scheduling
>>> solutions (timeslice scaling based ones, such as the VServer one) which
>>> is virtually no overhead and could potentially provide the "jumpers"
>>> necessary for implementing more complex scheduling policies.
>>>
>> Do you have any plans to post the vserver CPU control
>> implementation hooked against maybe Resource Groups (for grouping
>> tasks)? Seeing several different implementation against current
>> kernel may perhaps help maintainers decide what they like and what they
>> don't?
>
> That sounds like a good idea, I like the Resource Groups concept in
> general and it would be good to be able to fit this into a more generic
> and comprehensive framework.

That sounds nice.

> I'll try it against Chandra and Maeda's Apr 27 submission (a shame I
> missed it the first time around), and see how far I get.
>
> [goes away a bit]
>
> ok, so basically the bit in cpu_rc_load() where for_each_cpu_mask() is
> called, in Maeda Naoaki's patch "CPU controller - Add class load
> estimation support", is where O(N) creeps in that could be remedied with
> a token bucket algorithm. You don't want this because if you have 10,000
> processes on a system in two resource groups, the aggregate performance
> will suffer due to the large number of cacheline misses during the 5,000
> size loop that runs every resched.

Thank you for looking the code.

cpu_rc_load() is never called unless sysadm tries to access the load
information via configfs from userland. In addition, it sums up per-CPU
group stats, so the size of loop is the number of CPU, not process in
the group.

However, there is a similer loop in cpu_rc_recalc_tsfactor(), which runs
every CPU_RC_RECALC_INTERVAL that is defined as HZ. I don't think it
will cause a big performance penalty.

> [...]
> reasons; the above are the important ones).
>
> Then, in cpu_rc_record_allocation(), you'd take the length of the slice
> out of the bucket (subtract from tokens). In cpu_rc_account(), you would
> then "refund" unused CPU tokens back. The approach in Linux-VServer is
> to remove tokens every scheduler_tick(), but perhaps there are
> advantages to doing it the way you are in the CPU controller Resource
> Groups patch.
>
> That part should obviate the need for cpu_rc_load() altogether.
>
> Then, in cpu_rc_scale_timeslice(), you would make it add a bonus
> depending on (tokens / tokens_max); I found a quadratic back-off,
> scaling 0% full to a +15 penalty, 100% full to a -5 bonus and 50% full
> to no bonus, worked well - in my simple purely CPU bound process tests
> using tight loop processes.
>
> Note that when the bucket reaches 0, there is a choice to keep
> allocating short timeslices anyway, under the presumption that the
> system has CPU to burn (sched_soft), or to put all processes in that RC
> on hold (sched_hard). This could potentially be controlled by flags on
> the bucket - as well as the size of the boost.
>
> Hence, the "jumpers" I refer to are the bucket parameters - for
> instance, if you set the tokens_max to ~HZ, and have a suitably high
> priority/RT task monitoring the buckets, then that process should be
> able to;
>
> - get a complete record of how many tokens were used by a RC since it
> last checked,
> - influence subsequent scheduling priority of the RC, by adjusting the
> fill rate, current tokens value, the size of the boost, or the
> "sched_hard" flag
>
> ...and it could probably do that with very occasional timeslices, such
> as one slice per N*HZ (where N ~ the number of resource groups). So that
> makes it a candidate for moving to userland.
>
> The current VServer implementation fails to schedule fairly when the CPU
> allocations do not add up correctly; if you only allocated 25% of CPU to
> one vserver, then 40% to another, and they are both busy, they might end
> up both with empty buckets and an equal +15 penalty - effectively using
> 50/50 CPU and allocating very short timeslices, yielding poor batch
> performance.
>
> So, with (possibly userland) policy monitoring for this sort of
> condition and adjusting bucket sizes and levels appropriately, that old
> "problem" that leads people to conclude that the VServer scheduler does
> not work could be solved - all without incurring major overhead even on
> very busy systems.
>
> I think that the characteristics of these two approaches are subtly
> different. Both scale timeslices, but in a different way - instead of
> estimating the load and scaling back timeslices up front, busy Resource
> Groups are relied on to deplete their tokens in a timely manner, and get
> shorter slices allocated because of that. No doubt from 10,000 feet they

Current 0(1) scheduler gives extra bonus for interactive tasks by
requeuing them to active array for a while. It would break
the controller's efforts. So, I'm planning to stop the interactive
task requeuing if the target share doesn't meet.

Are there a similar issue on the vserver scheduler?

> There is probably enough information here for an implementation, but
> I'll wait for feedback on this post before going any further with it.
>
> Sam.

Thanks,
MAEDA Naoaki

  Last update: 2006-06-19 09:08    [W:0.588 / U:0.048 seconds]