    SubjectRe: FOR REVIEW: New x86-64 vsyscall vgetcpu()
    Interesting - thanks Andi.

    I had one of my colleagues at SGI lobby me hard for such a facility.
    I'll see if I can get him on this thread to better explain what he
    wanted it for.

    Roughly, he was looking to support something resembling the kernel's
    per-cpu data in userland library code for high performance scientific
    number crunching, for things like statistics gathering and perhaps (not
    sure of this) reduce locking costs.

    I see "x86-64" in the Subject. I don't see why this facility is
    arch-specific. Could it work on any arch, ia64 being the one of
    interest to me?

    I have some ignorance on your references to "CPUID(1)". I don't recall
    what it is. The only command so named I find on my systems are a
    Windows command from the year 1999. I doubt that's it. You wrote:

    > As you can see CPUID(1) is always very slow

    but but I don't see any stats above the comment mentioning CPUID(1),
    so ... er eh ... no I don't see.

    I won't rest till it's the best ...
    Programmer, Linux Scalability
    Paul Jackson <> 1.925.600.0401

      Last update: 2006-06-19 02:18    [W:0.026 / U:118.468 seconds]