SubjectRe: [RFC] Whitelist chipsets supporting MSI and check Hyper-transport capabilities
Greg KH wrote:
> Whitelisting looks all well and good today, and maybe for the rest of
> the year. But what about 3 years from now when everyone has shaken all
> of the MSI bugs out of their chipsets finally? Do you really want to
> add a new quirk for _every_ new chipset that comes out? I don't think
> that it is managable over the long run.

We could still reverse the default. Right now, unless pci=forcemsi is
passed, I disable MSI if we don't know whether the chipset supports it.
Once blacklisting has been improved/completed, we can enable MSI by
default (and keep "pci=nomsi" in case a non-blacklisted chipset appears).

Or we could enable MSI by default on PCI-E chipsets and disable by
default on non-PCI-E (ie we whitelist non-PCI-E only) ? PCI-E chipsets
seem to support MSI pretty well.

I am ok with any strategy as long as I don't end up passing "pci=nomsi"
on most new machines I will install in the next 10 years (as I did with
"noapic" in the past) :)

Brice

  Last update: 2006-06-17 09:14    [W:0.078 / U:8.980 seconds]