    SubjectRe: 2.6.17-rc6-mm2

    On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Goo GGooo wrote:

    > Thanks for explanation. Unfortunately I can't use git:// with "git
    > pull" (at least in git-1.3.2). First it does some traffic, that
    > suddenly stops - I guess the server starts doing *something*, perhaps
    > preparing the update for me or whatnot.

    Yeah, for a big pull, the server will have to think about the objects it
    is going to send you.

    > I suggest adding SO_KEEPALIVE option on the git socket.

    Actually, the really irritating thing is that we actually generate all
    these nice status updates, which just makes pulling and cloning a lot more
    comfortable, because you actually see what is going on, and what to
    expect.

    Except they only work over ssh, where we have a separate channel (for
    stderr), and with the native git protocol all that nice status work just
    gets flushed to /dev/null :(

    Dang. It's literally the most irritating part of the thing: the protocol
    itself is exactly the same whether you go over ssh:// or over git://, but
    that visual information about what is going on is missing, and it's
    surprisingly important from a usability standpoint.

    And in your case, the usability downside actually turned into a real
    accessibility bug.

    Oh, well.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.021 / U:121.196 seconds]