SubjectRe: SO_REUSEPORT and multicasting

http://www.unixguide.net/network/socketfaq/4.11.shtml

> and it's covered extensively in W. Richard Steven's
> book, TCP/IP
> Illustrated, Volume 2. It is considered the bible
> on BSD socket
> programming.
>
> Particularly telling is the final paragraph from
> that web page which
> reads:
>
> Basically SO_REUSEPORT is a BSD'ism that arose when
> multicast was added, evne though it was not used in
> the
> original Steve Deering code. I believe some
> BSD-derived
> systems may also include it. SO_REUSEPORT lets you
> bind
> the same address *and* port, but only if all the
> binders
> have specified it. But when binding to multicast
> address
> (its main use), SO_REUSEADDR is considered
> identical to
> SO_REUSEPORT (p. 731, "TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume
> 2").
> So for portability of multicast applications, I
> always
> use SO_REUSEADDR.
>
> I STRONGLY suggest you go read that reference to
> page 731 in
> the Steven book.

I agree that I don't want to start a flamewar or get
off topic. However, I did state earlier that I did
switch to use SO_REUSEADDR and while the program
compiled on Linux (without error) the server did not
receive any packets. Hence my questions regarding
Linux supporting multicasting.

Thanks,