SubjectRe: Backport of a 2.6.x USB driver to 2.4.32 - help needed
Hi, Pete:

Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 11:48:36 +0200, Heiko Gerstung <heiko.gerstung@meinberg.de> wrote:
>
>> [...] The maintainer of the driver
>> modified a few things for me in order to address this problem ("it
>> happens because get/set_registers() are called with no process
>> context"), but he was only able to modify the 2.6.x driver for me.
>
>> I started to backport the modified version, but it seems that I ran into
>> dependency hell because I get the following two missing functions
>> reported when I try to compile the backported module:
>>
>> rtl8150.c: In Funktion »rtl8150_get_settings«:
>> rtl8150.c:790: Warnung: implicit declaration of function `in_atomic'
>> rtl8150.c: In Funktion »rtl8150_thread«:
>> rtl8150.c:857: Warnung: implicit declaration of function
>> `schedule_timeout_uninterruptible'
>
> Tell the author to do it differently. Drivers have no business
> to call in_atomic(). So, he postpones some accesses until later.
> This is an easy way out, I did it myself in 2.4's usb-serial,
> but it's wrong. I don't see what his excuse is. Mine was that
> I didn't want to debug a freaking gazillion of usb-storage
> subdrivers.

His "excuse" is that he simply has not enough time to "do it right"(tm),
he just wanted to help me with a quick workaround.

> Who's the guy, anyway? Was it Petkan? I'm sure he'll listen
> to reason, I worked with him before.
Yes, it's Petko and I know that he is a good coder and just wanted to
help me out, although he was busy with projects he gets paid for.

> I'm going to keep an eye on rtl8150 and oppose in_atomic when
> it sneaks in.
Don't worry, I was not able to resolve the problems I got by working
around other problems. We will have to check if there is another
solution for our product as we have no chance to use a 2.4 kernel anymore.

Kind regards,
Heiko

> -- Pete

*MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG*