SubjectRe: VGER does gradual SPF activation (FAQ matter)
jdow <jdow@earthlink.net> wrote:
> From: "Horst von Brand" <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl>
> > jdow <jdow@earthlink.net> wrote:

> > [...]

> >> Greylist those who have not subscribed.
> > That is not easy to do.

> Somebody needs to write the code to make it easy to do for a list
> server. It should not be hard to do.

Great! Show us how. I'd be delighted to use it here.

> >> Let their email server try
> >> again in 30 minutes. For those who are not subscribed it should not
> >> matter if their message is delayed 30 minutes. And so far spammers
> >> never try again.

> > Wrong. Greylisting does stop an immense amount of spam here, but a
> > lot comes through.

> So if it's not perfect it's not worth doing at all, eh?

Didn't say that. Spammers /are/ finding ways to fool greylisting, that is
all.

> Yet you think
> SPF, which is FAR less suited as a spam preventative, is a single
> point solution.

I don't know where you got the idea I consider SPF a "single point
solution". FYI, here we use greylisting, spamassassin, ClamAV (much junk is
malware), and blacklists (both local ones and via DNS). We analyzed SPF and
rejected it a while ago as unfixably broken. No "single point solution" in
sight, sadly.

> Double think was supposed to have come and gone in
> 1984, I thought.

Double think is alive and well, thank you very much.