SubjectRe: [RFC] Slimming down struct inode
On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 12:48:27PM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >1) Move i_blksize (optimal size for I/O, reported by the stat system
> > call). Is there any reason why this needs to be per-inode, instead
> > of per-filesystem?

Sorry, missed this on the first reading - yes, there are reasons
for doing this per inode, as Jan points out...

> I do not know much about XFS's realtime feature, but from what I have read
> about it so far, it sounds to be a potential source where i_blksize might
> differ from the regular filesystem. A guess, though.

Such a change would would indeed break XFS, in exactly the way you
suggest Jan - the realtime subvolume does typically use a different
blocksize from the data subvolume (the realtime extent size is used,
and this can be set per-inode too), and there would now be no way to
distinguish this preferred IO size difference.

cheers.

--
Nathan