SubjectRe: 2.6.17: networking bug??
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, John Heffner wrote:

> In the last couple years, we've added code that can automatically size the
> buffers as appropriate for each connection, but it's completely crippled
> unless you use a window scale. Personally, I think it's not a question of
> *whether* we have to start using a window scale by default, but *when*. I
> don't know that we want to let a small number of unambiguously broken
> middleboxes kill our forward progress.

Another example - Same thing happened with ECN. I recall setting up a mail
server at the time and noticing that I had to disable ECN because some
dumbass PIX routers out there were dropping packets with a _reserved bit_
set! Sure, there was a firmware upgrade, but the dingbat admins I tried to
alert didn't seem (at the time) too interested in fixing their problem.

Does anyone have any interesting statistics on how often end-users are
likely to run into this crap? It really is a shame when you have to suck just
because someone else does.

> Thanks,
> -John

Cheers,
Chase

  Last update: 2006-06-14 00:11    [W:0.088 / U:0.216 seconds]