SubjectRe: How does RAID work with IT8212 RAID PCI card?
On 6/13/06, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 05:58:45PM +0200, Christian H?rtwig wrote:
> > i need some advise regarding the usage of the above kernel module. Today i
> > have plugged a PCI RAID card into my computer, IT8212 chip on it, and two
> > identical hard drives on the primary and secondary master of that controller.
> > In the controller BIOS i defined a mirror set out of those both disks and
> > booted linux afterwards.

> > 2 harddiscs are attached to it.
> >
> > The thing that i wonder about is, that i still can "see" both harddisks
> > independently, but i would expect to see only one harddisk at all, that
> > represents the RAID set. Udev also registers /dev/hde and /dev/hdg, but (as
> > far as i can see) no further device.
> >
> > Is there anything wrong about my setup? Is this i driver issue? Or is this the
> > normal and expected behaviour and its me who doesn't "use" the module
> > properly? How to i access the RAID set instead of the two seperate disks?
>
> Congratulations. You have a fake raid card by the sound of it. A
> hardware raid card would have only shown one drive, while a fake raid
> card expects the driver to work with the bios to find out the setup (and
> handle booting), and then the driver does all the raid work in software.
>
> It is much simpler to treat fake raid cards as just another drive
> controller and use linux software raid on it. At least then you know
> how it works, and it is portable to other controllers later if needed.
>
> Len Sorensen
> -

No not true, i have this card and its a true hardware raid card. The
thing is, this card has both a raid and a passthru mode, you should
check which bios is flashed into it. Google is your friend.

  Last update: 2006-06-13 18:23    [W:0.061 / U:0.380 seconds]