SubjectRe: [RFC] Light weight event counters (V2) instead of page state
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Martin Peschke wrote:

> Did you consider using the statistics infrastructure available in -mm?
> (lib/statistic.c, include/linux/statistic.h, Documentation/statistics.txt)

No its not in Linus tree and has even more overhead than the existing
counters since it always checks if a certain counters is on or off and it
also does indirect calls to an update function.

It does not use local_t at all and takes an smp_processor_id() parameter
to various functions which makes the future use of cpu_local_* functions
not possible (should that implementation get fixed).

> To me that looks like a good application for the statistics infrastructure,
> which shows statistics through debugfs instead of procfs. Btw., it completely
> unburdens exploiting kernel code from the delivery of statistics to users.

The light weight counter implementation here provides the output of
/proc/vmstat. That is a fixed interface.

  Last update: 2006-06-13 17:26    [W:0.046 / U:0.200 seconds]