    SubjectRe: VGER does gradual SPF activation (FAQ matter)
    On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, jdow wrote:

    > Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 01:23:30 -0700
    > From: jdow <jdow@earthlink.net>
    > To: Bernd Petrovitsch <bernd@firmix.at>
    > Cc: davids@webmaster.com, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
    > Subject: Re: VGER does gradual SPF activation (FAQ matter)
    >
    > From: "Bernd Petrovitsch" <bernd@firmix.at>
    >
    > > On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 22:17 -0700, jdow wrote:
    > > [...]
    > > > that matter. It simply says, "When I went and looked at the guy's claimed
    > > > mail source the spf record said he was who he said he was." Who vouches
    > >
    > > No. SPF simply defines legitimate outgoing MTAs for a given domain.
    > > Within a domain, it is up to the postmaster to allow/disallow address
    > > forgery and for the rest of a world (to tell where legitimate email of
    > > his domain comes from), the postmaster defines SPF records.
    > >
    > > Bernd
    >
    > And just recently we received a spate of spam that came from a domain
    > that disappeared almost immediately. Domain names are cheap. They can
    > vouch for the spam run. Then what happens to them doesn't matter. But
    > the SPF record passes.
    >
    > {^_-} There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.
    > Too many people think SPF is a free lunch.

    Look at it from a mail admin's perspective. The bounces are now going
    nowhere instead of some poor user's mailbox. You have just cut the damage
    in half.

    Innerfire.net used to be foraged as a spam sender every other month and
    gmack@innerfire.net so often that I still have procmail filters to
    redirect bounces to their own folder. The thousands of messages I was
    getting was infuriating but it has been a very rare event since I setup
    SPF on my domain.

    SPF may not filter spam much but if you set it to autofail you can reduce
    the risk for innocent mail admins.

    Gerhard

    --
    Gerhard Mack

    gmack@innerfire.net

    <>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.