    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3
    Arjan van de Ven writes:
    > On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 14:51 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > > PRECISELY. So you should stop modifying a filesystem whose design is
    > > admittedly _not_ modern!
    > >
    > > ext3 is already essentially xiafs-on-life-support, when you consider
    > > today's large storage systems and today's filesystem technology. Just
    > > look at the ugly hacks needed to support expanding an ext3 filesystem
    > > online.
    >

    > actually I think I disagree with you. One thing I've noticed over the
    > years is that ext2 layout has one thing going for it: it is simple and
    > robust. Maybe "ext2 layout" is the wrong word, "block bitmap and
    > direct/indirect block based" may be better. It seems that once you go
    > into tree space (and I would call htree a borderline thing there) you
    > get both really complex code and fragile behavior all over (mostly in
    > terms of "when something goes wrong")

    Huh? Direct/indirect/double-indirect/... _is_ a tree, albeit not
    balanced one. What makes s5fs/ffs/ufs/ext* so exceptionally robust is
    fixed position of inode tables, which provides a guaranteed starting
    point for fsck under almost any circumstances.

    Nikita.

      Last update: 2006-06-11 18:39    [W:0.022 / U:92.556 seconds]