SubjectRe: Frustrating Random Reboots, seeking suggestions
On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 10:52:03AM +0200, Ingo Oeser wrote:
>Hi Hui Zhou,
>
>On Saturday, 10. June 2006 04:37, Hui Zhou wrote:
>> Thanks. memtest86 passes 6 times without errors. Serial console didn't
>> show up anything (it just reboots).
>>
>> Anyway, I finally suspect the debian libmpeg binary is at fault. I
>> manually build it from src and statically linked to the `bkmark'
>> program. It seems cured the random reboots problem. It runs
>> successfully for 4 times. However, the fifth time it ended up in a `D'
>> state. The only system call it uses is libc file IO and some signal
>> passing. Any comment on the cause?
>
>Do you also see the problem if you decode from file to memory only.
>without any display?
>
>NO: You have some problem with your peripherals.

There is no display. The program just marks the blank scene or scene
changes and dumps the results to a text file for another program to
analyze.

>YES: Check for heat and power problems.
>
> If you are brave you could try some cpuburn variant to put the heat
> to the maximum.
>
> WARNING: This could kill your CPU and might void your warranty,
> since this is not "normal use" of your CPU :-)

No, I am not that brave. :) However, I am now faily certain it is not
heat problem. After relinked with a new libmpeg binary, it hasn't
rebooted yet (8+hours). Any possibility that some binary code can
randomly trigger reboots on certain CPUs? (Sounds absurd, but only you
kernel guys have better answers.)

Now I am concerned with the `D' state. Is that some problem from the
kernel?

Thanks.

--
Hui Zhou