    SubjectRe: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts
    On 6/1/06, Dave Airlie <> wrote:
    > > > 15) re-use as much of the X drivers as possible, otherwise it will KGI.
    > >
    > > I would broaden this to use the best code where ever it is found. Of
    > > course X is a major source.
    > I'm not considering using knowledge from X drivers, I'm considering
    > using the X drivers, I don't personally care about things like X's
    > over use of typedefs and that sort of stuff, that is what I term
    > semantic, people who work on X drivers know X drivers, and writing the
    > drivers is the biggest part of any graphic systems.

    I have considered that option too. It is a good place for a quick
    start but it is not maintainable in the long run. The driver code has
    to be divorced from X and not require having the entire X system
    around to build a new driver.

    Have you checked the dependencies needed for loading X drivers?
    Modularization may have helped but loading an X driver used to
    effectively suck in the entire X server due to dependencies. Sucking
    in all of X is not fair to alternative windowing systems.

    I do agree that this is a workable starting point but it can't be the
    long term solution.

    Jon Smirl

      Last update: 2006-06-02 05:30    [W:0.022 / U:51.248 seconds]