SubjectRe: [RFC 3/5] sched: Add CPU rate hard caps
Al Boldi wrote:
> Chandra Seetharaman wrote:
>> I totally agree.
>>
>>> I'll take a look at the references. I agree with you that it will be
>>> useful to have resource management for a group of tasks.
>
> For Resource Management to be useful it must depend on Resource Control.
> Resource Control depends on per-process accounting. Per-process accounting,
> when abstracted sufficiently, may enable higher level routines, preferrably
> in userland, to extend functionality at will. All efforts should really go
> into the successful abstraction of per-process accounting.

I couldn't agree more. All that's needed in the kernel is low level per
task control and statistics gathering. The rest can be done in user space.

Peter
PS I'm a big fan of the various efforts to improve the quality of the
performance statistics that are exported from the kernel and my only
wish is that they get together to create one comprehensive solution.
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@bigpond.net.au

-- Ambrose Bierce