SubjectRe: [RFC 3/5] sched: Add CPU rate hard caps
Balbir Singh wrote:

>>> The more runnable tasks there are the less likely it is that any of
>>> them is exceeding its hard cap due to normal competition for the
>>> CPUs. So I think that it's unlikely that there will ever be a very
>>> large number of tasks in the sinbin at the same time.
>>
>> for containers this can be untrue... :( actually even for 1000 tasks
>> (I suppose this is the maximum in your case) it can slowdown
>> significantly as well.
>
> Do you have any documented requirements for container resource management?
> Is there a minimum list of features and nice to have features for
> containers
> as far as resource management is concerned?

>> agree with it.
>
> Thinking a bit more along these lines, it would probably break O(1). But
> I guess a good
> algorithm can amortize the cost.

It's also unlikely to be less overhead than using timers. In fact, my
gut feeling is that you'd actually be doing something very similar to
how timers work only cruder. I.e. reinventing the wheel.

--
Peter Williams pwil3058@bigpond.net.au

-- Ambrose Bierce