    SubjectRe: [git patch] libata resume fix
    Jens Axboe wrote:

    >On Wed, May 31 2006, Robert Hancock wrote:
    >

    >>Bill Davidsen wrote:
    >>

    >>>The trade-off is that if I have a 15k rpm SCSI drive, it would take a
    >>>lot of design changes to make it spin up quickly, and improve a function
    >>>which is usually done on a server once every MTBF when replacing the
    >>>failed unit.
    >>>
    >>>I think the majority of very large or very fast drives are in systems
    >>>which don't (deliberately) power cycles often, in rooms where heat is an
    >>>issue. And to spin up quickly take a larger power supply... 30 sec is
    >>>fine with most users.
    >>>
    >>>Couldn't find a spin-up time for the new Seagate 750GB drive, but the
    >>>seek sure is fast!
    >>>

    >>I wouldn't guess that even a 15K drive would take nearly that long. For
    >>boot time on servers it doesn't matter much though, disk spinup time is
    >>

    >I do use a 15K rpm drive in my workstation (hello git!), and the spin up
    >really isn't that bad. Less than 10 seconds for the actual spin up, I
    >would say.

    Sounds about right, but clearly longer than the 2 sec mentioned early in
    this thread. I think a long delay is okay as long as it gets stopped
    when the drive does come ready.

    >>in the noise compared to the insane BIOS delays on most of them during
    >>bootup. Like on some servers (ahem.. IBM) which have about a 15 second
    >>delay on the main BIOS screen, 10 second delays on every network boot
    >>ROM, a 1 minute delay on the SCSI controller before it even starts
    >>scanning the bus, then another good 10 seconds before it starts booting.
    >>Gets annoying after a few reboots..
    >>

    >Indeed, the BIOS bootup time on servers is typically anywhere from
    >really bad to truly awful.

    I try *very* hard not to do bootup on servers, the paperwork involved
    with an outage takes longer than the boot time ;-)

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO TMR Associates, Inc