    SubjectRe: How to read BIOS information
    Alan Cox wrote:
    > On Maw, 2006-05-09 at 10:53 +0530, Madhukar Mythri wrote:
    >
    >> yeah, your are correct. but, the thing is my superiors want, even if
    >>kernel not reconize/use HT, we have to capture it from BIOS...
    >>Thats why i asked as, how to read BIOS information?
    >

    > You ask the BIOS vendor for the exact board in question.
    >
    > If you want to ask the processor itself then you can use the model
    > specific registers. These are accessible via /dev/cpu/<cpuid>/msr so you
    > can perform the Intel recommended sequence for checking if the processor
    > has HT enabled.
    >
    > It might be simpler to look in /proc/cpuinfo if you just need the basic
    > information

    He's actually asking if the BIOS has turned on HT, not if some other
    means has...

    BUT, the only thing I can think of is turning OFF HT in the BIOS,
    reading the CMOS, storing it somewhere, turning ON HT, storing
    that somewhere and comparing them. Then he'll know that in his
    specific BIOS revision on his specific mainboard that bit is
    stored in one specific place and he can go from there.

    Messy, definately not recommended, stupid but hey, if the bosses
    ask for it and you gotta give it ..

    Just make triple sure you tell them that if you upgrade the BIOS
    the test might fail or if you change mainboard, etc.

    // Stefan

      Last update: 2006-05-09 14:31    [W:3.885 / U:0.008 seconds]