    SubjectRe: Add a "enable" sysfs attribute to the pci devices to allow userspace (Xorg) to enable devices without doing foul direct access
    "Jon Smirl" <jonsmirl@gmail.com> writes:

    > Substitute vga with the name of whatever class of device you are
    > working on and build it a minimal driver for it. The technique is
    > generic.

    The card in question _has_ a driver. I, for example, just need a way
    to write EEPROM data to it (vendor/device ID etc). The card has to be
    selected by PCI bus and slot (device) number, not by device class
    and/or IDs, because it can contain garbage and/or some generic IDs
    with generic device class.

    I'm not against the additional driver but it has to be able to work
    with any specified card (as setpci does). But if it's that simple
    then why not do that in the PCI code instead (holding some device
    file open isn't a problem)?
    --
    Krzysztof Halasa