    SubjectRe: Linux Kernel Source Compression
    Alistair John Strachan wrote:

    > It's a bit of a shame bzip2 even exists, really. It really would be better if
    > there was one unified, pluggable archiver on UNIX (and portables).

    All the people with slow connections bless bzip2. If you or someone want
    a new compressor, write a program for it, call it something unique so
    people will know it's different, and be happy.

    Even with a fast line, I can only pull as fast as the source can push,
    so smaller is better for all of us. The time to decompress a tar.bz2 and
    tar.gz are very similar, the CPU for bzip2 is about double, and the time
    to create the directories and write the files is the same in either case.

    --
    Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a