SubjectRe: 2.6.17-rc5-mm1
Hi,

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> on one side, the -mm kernel is about showcasing new code and finding
> bugs in them as fast as possible. Having new debugging options enabled
> by default is an important part of the testing effort. Users will care
> more about having no crashes than about having 0.5% more performance in
> select benchmarks.
>
> on the other side, you obviously dont want a 0.5% overhead for select
> benchmarks, as that would mess up the history! A very fair and valid
> position too.
>
> but one side has to give, we cant have both.

As I mentioned before, please keep these defaults as a -mm-only patch,
Giving them testing in -mm is fine, but defaults are already way too much
abused as is. The default rule should be to enable an option explicitly,
if it's needed, it should not be auto-enabled, because its author likes
it so much. Using a "default y" should be close to hiding the option via
CONFIG_EMBEDDED or some other option and the default should not differ
between hidden and visible state, e.g.:

config FOO
bool "foo" if BAR
default y

bye, Roman

  Last update: 2006-06-01 00:49    [W:0.101 / U:0.020 seconds]